Linux SMP + TOP Q?

Flight 800 Flight800 at comcast.net
Fri Nov 11 22:39:12 UTC 2005

I have a server with Ev1Servers.net in houston that I use for webhosting.
We run Ensim control panel so people can login and manage their virtual
webserver with a web-based interface.  During the course of applying a
recent patch from Ensim that included a kernel update we noticed that the
new kernel did not support SMP.  Ev1 offered to rebuild the kernel for us
and we allowed them to.  Now when we login uname -a shows this:

Linux xxx.domain.net 2.6.9-22.0.1.ELsmp #1 SMP Tue Oct 18 18:39:27 EDT 2005
i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

However in "top" there's still only processor showing, whereas I've always
seen two processors in "top" on every hyperthreading system I've been on.
Can anyone explain it to me?

thanks, Brad