Need to find data on bug

Mike Ault mike at ault.cc
Mon Nov 14 06:38:32 UTC 2005

Back in August I found some information on a bug in Redhat that would cause
inode corruption as a result of a memory fault during file creation. This
was an issue because the file would be usable and to all appearances just
fine until you tried to back it up using tar, cp, dd, ftp, sftp, etc. then
it would only backup the file to that point, complain that the length was
incorrect and then pad the file with zeros. We found this during an attempt
to create a standby database in an Oracle system.

Has anyone heard of this bug? Anyone got a reference for it? I need to
provide it to a current project that may be having the same issue in RedHat
2.1 AS. I have searched but without the specific wording of the error (which
I don't have) I can't find it.

Thanks.

Mike