webmail application for production?

jason at dixongroup.net jason at dixongroup.net
Tue Nov 15 14:31:27 UTC 2005

> hello everybody!
>
> Which webmail application would be most secure for the production
> environment?
> I'm talking here from 300-5000 users all having there mailboxes on one
> server, and they need a webmail-style access to their email.
>
> I don't want to take any security risk here, so i really need a secure
> solution. The security is a priority. Is squirrelmail secure enough?
>
> I would like to hear your experiences on this one.

I currently use both Squirrelmail and Horde/IMP in production.  Both work
fine in chrooted environments, but they also both rely on PHP, making them
inherently untrusted.

Users prefer Horde/IMP, which has a much nicer interface.  I prefer
*setting up* Squirrelmail which is ridiculously simple to install and
configure.  Horde/IMP appears to work well with more users, although that
is anecdotal since they are not running on the same hardware nor with the
same user load.  Horde/IMP is currently handling around 200 users for a
small organization, but could easily handle more without any hardware
upgrades.

--
Jason Dixon
DixonGroup Consulting