redhat-list at redhat.com

Pierre Carlson mpcarl at gmail.com
Tue Nov 15 17:09:18 UTC 2005

 I have an xSeries 236 machine running RHEL 4 which has been working pretty
well, apart from a few hardware problems. I used up2date and installed the
latest xorg packages (xorg-x11-6.8.2-1.EL.13.20). I restarted the machine,
but the display is not correct. The monitor is now covered with parallel,
diagonal lines. The mouse works, but the display shows a large box with
horizontal lines that I can move about the screen. The keyboard seems to be
locked as well. I cannot kill the XServer and I cannot change to a text
based login screen with the hot keys. I can ssh into the machine. I compared
the xorg.conf files from before the update and after and it has not changed.
Any idea on what may be going on? I can back out the xorg updates and
hopefully get back up and working, but since this is supposed to be a
supported piece of hardware I thought there may be a fix out there.

--
M. Pierre Carlson
mpcarl at gmail.com