Software Install Best Practice?

Danny Howard dannyman at toldme.com
Wed Nov 16 19:52:25 UTC 2005

Hello,

I am new to Linux.  I come from FreeBSD, and I am used to the idea that
if I need to add a package, I can do so through the ports tree.

On Fedora, I have come to a similar accomodation.  I added LIVNA to my
yum repositories like so:

rpm -ivh
http://rpm.livna.org/fedora/4/i386/RPMS.lvn/livna-release-4-0.lvn.5.4.noarch.rpm

Now I can "yum install" most anything on Fedora. :)

And I have an RHEL box, needs a bunch of Perl modules.  I have consulted
TFM at
http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/enterprise/RHEL-4-Manual/sysadmin-guide/s1-rpm-using.html
and they say I should use RPM, and first I have to find the .rpm files,
and I should look:

    http://www.redhat.com/download/mirror.html

Well, that's a list of Fedora mirrors ... uhmmm ...

    * Red Hat Network — Refer to Chapter 17 Red Hat Network for more
details on Red Hat Network

Chapter 17 makes RHN look like some GUI admin tool for keeping the Base
OS up to date.  I want to find a trusted repository of Perl modules,
etc.  Pointers on where I should go and what I should read?

Thanks,
-danny

--
http://dannyman.toldme.com/