Software Install Best Practice?

Danny Howard dannyman at toldme.com
Wed Nov 16 20:10:00 UTC 2005

On Wed, Nov 16, 2005 at 03:03:54PM -0500, Carl Reynolds wrote:
[...]
> By the way, just out of curiosity, why are you using rpm to maintain
> your system rather than up2date, yum, or smart?

I have not begun to maintain this system.  I am referencing the part in
the supplied documentation that advises me to use RPM, but that
documentation doesn't strike me as too useful.

Yes, I know about CPAN.  It is a handy last resport.  I'm looking for a
great source of pre-packaged software that may or may not be Perl
modules, akin to BSD ports collections or LIVNA ... so I'm asking here
"how do you guys install stuff on Red Hat."

I'd prefer NOT to use CPAN if I can avoid it, because the fewer
packaging systems that are used to maintain a system, the less likely
you are to screw yourself up with conflicts, right?

So ... please, where do clever SysAdmins go to maintain basic
not-supplied-by-RedHat packages on RHEL	? :)

Thanks,
-danny

--
http://dannyman.toldme.com/