Software Install Best Practice?

Carl Reynolds redhat-list at hyperbole-software.com
Wed Nov 16 20:19:23 UTC 2005

Danny Howard wrote:

>I'd prefer NOT to use CPAN if I can avoid it, because the fewer
>packaging systems that are used to maintain a system, the less likely
>you are to screw yourself up with conflicts, right?

There is no dependency between Perl modules and *.rpm modules. You can
use cpan to install as many Perl modules as you like and create
absolutely no conflicts on the system. The other packages (yum, up2date,
smart, etc) use the rpm database to resolve conflicts between rpm
packages, but they won't install or conflict with Perl modules. While I
have run into conflicts while installing *.rpms using up2date, none was
caused by using cpan.

cpan is the best tool for maintaining you Perl packages.

.