'Pop up' howto

Shaw, Marco Marco.Shaw at aliant.ca
Thu Nov 17 12:42:10 UTC 2005

We have an app we want to port from Win32 to Linux.

It's a client/server type app that communicates over TCP/IP,
so it might be possible to simply write something up by just
studying the data xchange back and forth.

With either KDE or GNOME, is there any good online tutorials
on how to program 'pop ups' in either of those desktop managers?

In other words, when a message is received, I'm either looking
to get some kind of pop up message (and sound) near the clock
or even some kind of colored icon like the up2date one.

Marco