dual core

alan alan at clueserver.org
Fri Nov 18 17:59:51 UTC 2005

On Fri, 18 Nov 2005, Wayne Pinette wrote:

> Ok, before I ask this question, I want to apologise for it first for
> many reasons which I won't list here, so here it goes.
>
> Does anyone know if FC 4 or 5 and or RHEL 4 or 5 is planning to be dual
> core aware?  I ask because it seems
> intel and consequently all the computer manufacturers (ibm/dell/seanix)
> are basically forcing dual core technology
> on us even though 90 percent of the hyper threaded cpu power out there
> isn't being used anyways.
>
> Once again, I apologise for the question, and I will probably google
> this right after I send it, but the whole
> subject matter bugs me :-|

It has for a long time. (A couple of years anyways.) Just use the SMP
kernel. If you have concerns, use a current smp kernel.

Dual (and more) cores have been around for a while.  (Remember the Alpha?)
They are just becoming the "next big thing" in x86-land.

--
"Invoking the supernatural can explain anything, and hence explains nothing."
                  - University of Utah bioengineering professor Gregory Clark