vsftpd

Stephen Carville stephen at totalflood.com
Mon Nov 21 19:20:44 UTC 2005

Meadows, Andrew wrote:
> Hi all,
> I was wondering if anyone has had this issue and knows of a way to
> resolve it.
> I have vsftpd installed, the latest version available from redhat. The
> server(s) that are having this problemn are both version 3 and version 4
> AS.
> I made a configuration change to dis-allow anonymous ftp access to the
> vsftpd.conf file. I then recycled vsftpd with service vsftpd restart all
> looked well, meaning ok's all around.
> Now I cannot ftp to these servers as accounts that I know have access
> and telnets are showing the ftp port closed. If I do a service vsftpd
> status I get "vsftpd dead but subsys locked". No other ftp services are
> running on these servers.
> Any thoughs or clues as to how to resolve?
> NO process is showing with ps -ef and netstat is showing the port
> closed.

I've never enocuntered that particualr problem but the follwing might
help you narrow it down.

1. Make sure you are not trying to start vsftpd from xinetd.

2. Make sure "listen=YES" is set in /etc/vsftpd/vsftpd.conf

3. Check if there is a lock file /var/lock/subsys/vsftpd.  If there is
and YOU ARE SURE vsftpd is not running, delete it and try to restart vsftpd.

4. Check /var/log/vsftpd.log for error reports.

> Thanks in advance,
> Andrew
> This message is intended only for the use of the Addressee and
> may contain information that is PRIVILEGED and CONFIDENTIAL.
>
> If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified
> that any dissemination of this communication is strictly prohibited.
>
> If you have received this communication in error, please erase
> all copies of the message and its attachments and notify us
> immediately.
>
> Thank you.

Stephen Carville <stephen at totalflood.com>
Unix and Network Admin