vsftpd

Meadows, Andrew AMeadows at BMI.com
Mon Nov 21 19:33:18 UTC 2005

Still no luck.
There was a lock file but removing it didn't help. I have a ticket open
with RH support, if no resolution comes from here maybe tey will have an
answer and I will post for future reference...
Thanks for your suggestions.

-----Original Message-----
From: redhat-list-bounces at redhat.com
[mailto:redhat-list-bounces at redhat.com] On Behalf Of Stephen Carville
Sent: Monday, November 21, 2005 1:21 PM
To: General Red Hat Linux discussion list
Subject: Re: vsftpd

Meadows, Andrew wrote:
> Hi all,
> I was wondering if anyone has had this issue and knows of a way to
> resolve it.
> I have vsftpd installed, the latest version available from redhat. The
> server(s) that are having this problemn are both version 3 and version

> 4 AS.
> I made a configuration change to dis-allow anonymous ftp access to the

> vsftpd.conf file. I then recycled vsftpd with service vsftpd restart
> all looked well, meaning ok's all around.
> Now I cannot ftp to these servers as accounts that I know have access
> and telnets are showing the ftp port closed. If I do a service vsftpd
> status I get "vsftpd dead but subsys locked". No other ftp services
> are running on these servers.
> Any thoughs or clues as to how to resolve?
> NO process is showing with ps -ef and netstat is showing the port
> closed.

I've never enocuntered that particualr problem but the follwing might
help you narrow it down.

1. Make sure you are not trying to start vsftpd from xinetd.

2. Make sure "listen=YES" is set in /etc/vsftpd/vsftpd.conf

3. Check if there is a lock file /var/lock/subsys/vsftpd.  If there is
and YOU ARE SURE vsftpd is not running, delete it and try to restart
vsftpd.

4. Check /var/log/vsftpd.log for error reports.

> Thanks in advance,
> Andrew
> This message is intended only for the use of the Addressee and may
> contain information that is PRIVILEGED and CONFIDENTIAL.
>
> If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that
> any dissemination of this communication is strictly prohibited.
>
> If you have received this communication in error, please erase all
> copies of the message and its attachments and notify us immediately.
>
> Thank you.

Stephen Carville <stephen at totalflood.com> Unix and Network Admin
Nationwide Totalflood
6033 W. Century Blvd