Any home users on the list?

Ed Wilts ewilts at ewilts.org
Fri Nov 25 01:24:42 UTC 2005

On Thu, Nov 24, 2005 at 02:21:56PM -0800, Jason Riker wrote:
> Hello again.  I'm relatively new to the list and was wondering how many
> (if any) others are using RHEL as a home OS?  I'm using it 1) as a
> Windows replacement and 2) as a means of learning Linux.  I wanted to
> see if I'm crazy for doing this. :-)

I've been using various flavors of Red Hat Linux for several years at
home.  I purchased Red Hat Professional Workstation and ran it for a
while (it was reasonably priced for home use) and now run one of the
RHEL rebuilds - these are based on the publically-available RHEL sources
but not supported by Red Hat.

I'm perfectly happy running with this combination.  Although it's not
the latest and greatest of all apps at all times, it's a rock-solid
stable distribution that lets me get my work done.  I haven't eliminated
Windows entirely from my home and due to my wife's requirements I never
will, but for my personal use - mostly email (mutt), web browsing
(firefox), and my office suite (Open Office) - I'm quite happy.

        .../Ed

--
Ed Wilts, RHCE
Mounds View, MN, USA