Any home users on the list?

Michael Velez mikev777 at hotmail.com
Sat Nov 26 13:55:41 UTC 2005

On Thursday 24 November 2005 17:21, Jason Riker wrote:
> Hello again.  I'm relatively new to the list and was wondering how many
> (if any) others are using RHEL as a home OS?  I'm using it 1) as a
> Windows replacement and 2) as a means of learning Linux.  I wanted to
> see if I'm crazy for doing this. :-)
>
> Thanks.
>
> Jason

I use RHEL 4 at home with an Oracle 10g database.  Works great!

What you're doing is not crazy at all.  It is definitely a fun hobby and can
tie into your home business if you have one.

I use the Oracle database for analysis purposes for my home business, but I
definitely explore other things with this all powerful Linux machine:

	- ssh tunneling provides a secure access into my local network
enabling a login from my laptop from anywhere in the world.
	- I have a dynamic IP address but mutt and sendmail e-mail me the
address to my DSL-provider's e-mail account whenever it changes, enabling me
to actually do the ssh.
	- A network library and network file sharing containing
documentation and drivers needed to access network resources facilitates
guests being able to use the network as a temporary office (which my sister
does when she's here).
	- I created a home intranet-website facilitating access to various
family interests on the internet or for guests who visit and can see a quick
snapshot of what's around.
	- my father, who's retired, loves the SETI at home project from
Berkeley so I created a web application (accessible from the home intranet)
that allows him to manage all network seti machines from one machine with a
summary page giving a snapshot of what all machines are doing on SETI.

These are just a few examples of what you can do.

Granted, I worked with -NIX systems from 20-11 years ago so I was not just
starting out when I came back to it a year ago but the discovery of new
things is the fun part.

And there are a lot of experts on this list who can help you out.

Have fun,
Michael