Could not open connection to the host, on port 143

Anze Vidmar anzevi at gmail.com
Wed Nov 30 17:11:41 UTC 2005

Nagarjuna Rao Cherukuri wrote:

>I am using sendmail. My sendmail.cf file is almost same as that of the
>previous configuration that worked fine.
>
>I could do "telnet machinename 143" from my PC to previous sever. But, I
>could not do the same to my new server. I am able to do "telnet
>machinename 143" from the server itself.

Take a look in your sendmail.mc file for a line that says:
 DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Port=smtp,Addr=127.0.0.1, Name=MTA')dnl

Make sure you remove the "Addr=127.0.0.1" part of the line, so that your
sendmail can lisen on your ethX interface, not only the 127.0.0.1
interface (localhost).

So, your modified line should read:
 DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Port=smtp,Name=MTA')dnl

And restart the sendmail deamon after changing the sendmail.mc file.

--
Anze Vidmar <anzevi at gmail.com>