Kudzu not seeing new drive

Russell dragonite.wylie at verizon.net
Mon Oct 3 23:33:16 UTC 2005

Yes there is a way to configure it w/o kudzu. Fortunately I've done this
in the past month :)
You need to do a fdisk /dev/(devicename) command. The device name will
change depending on whether the hard disk is IDE or SCSI. If it's SCSCI,
it would be sdb. If it's IDE, it'll be either hda (stupid autocorrect)
hdb hdc or hdd, depending on which plug it's in.
Once you've done that, you follow the instructions for creating a new
partition on there. It gives you a command menu and guides you through
it, so I won't go into details here.
After making the partition, quit fdisk and run 'mkfs
/dev/(devicename)(partition#)' (for example, mkfs /dev/hdb1 to make a
filesystem in the first partition of the hdb disk). Then you'll need to
choose what kind of filesystem to make (default is ext2). To make other
kinds, use 'mkfs.(type) /dev/(devicename)(partition#)'. If you want to
change it later, then you can use the 'tune2fs' command.
When you've done all that, change the /etc/fstab file to make a mount
point for the disk. Here's a sample line:
/dev/hdb1    /abc    ext2   defaults  1 1
'/dev/hdb1' is the device name and partition #. '/abc' is the directory
it'll be mounted to. 'ext2' is the filesystem type. Replace those as
needed.
'defaults' makes the OS mount it at boot time. '1 1' makes the OS check
it for errors at startup.
And for crying out loud, don't forget to actually make the directory
you're mounting the drive to!!