Updating Packages Question

Paul Dekkers Paul.Dekkers at surfnet.nl
Thu Oct 13 09:08:34 UTC 2005

Hi,

Rik Herrin wrote:
> Thanks Alberto.  That means that I should be able to
> safely set up up2date and it won't touch my
> configuration files.  However, when would it started
> using the new binary (the one that came with the
> update)?  On reboot? Or would it shut down the current
> binary that is running and start up the new one?

I'm afraid that differs per package. I found that for instance openssh
is properly stopped and started with an up(2)date, but for instance
mysqld was stopped during the update, and never started afterwards. So
it's safest to check if all services are running (although service
--status-all is not a big help because it shows all services not just
the ones that are enabled), and/or reboot after an upgrade, I suppose.
I somehow hope I'm wrong and for an easier way to check all services are
up-and-running other then the regular monitoring...

Regards,
Paul