Bare metal recovery

Raj Atwal atwalrs at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 21 11:43:51 UTC 2005

Just want to add one more app on the list...

www.acronis.com

I am currently evaluating the product, thus far it looks good, but the price may be an issue.

Rgds

Raj

Dony Pierre <Pierre.Dony at nbb.be> wrote:Hi all,

We use Legato Networker backup for taking the backup of our Linux server
and to do a Linux Bare Metal recovery, I use the following procedure :

* Boot on a Knoppix Live CD on the server you have to restore;
* Change your hostname/IP address to be able to contact your Networker
server;
* Install the Networker client on your Knoppix Live server (with
Unionfs available in Knoppix, it's not a problem !)- you can use alien
to convert the rpm package to a debian package;
* Mount the disk you have to restore on your Knoppix server;
* If needed, restore your partition table with the command sfdisk
/dev/sda < sfdisk_sda.out;
* restore the file system with Networker;
* re-install grub with the command grub-install --root-directory=/mnt
/dev/sda;

* and reboot your system !!!.

This procedure will also work for Veritas.

Regards.
Pierre.