Wireless on linux/Battery Life

Gavin McDonald gavitron at gmail.com
Thu Oct 27 21:08:15 UTC 2005

I don't know what happened to this thread, but I found the following just
now, and thought it pertinent enough to post:

"Intel Speedstep
You will most definitely want to "modprobe speedstep" or "modprobe
speedstep-ich" at startup, depending on which version of the kernel you're
running. This will load the kernel's speedstep module which will throttle
the CPU when operating on battery power. If you don't load this module, the
T30 will continue to run at full 2Ghz speed on battery, which will last all
of about 45 minutes. "

"...setting the hard-disk spindown to 5 minutes and setting "laptop mode" in
the kernel makes a slight change in battery life...although it is still
pretty poor in Linux. "

Both quotes are from this page:
http://www.nuclearelephant.com/papers/t30.html

And should help increase your battery life.

Regards,

Gavin McDonald
EVI Logistic Enterprises
email: me at gavitron.com