Updating Packages Question

Hi,
  If I have a server with some services such as
postfix / sendmail, squid, ldap configured and running
and start to use up2date or rhn to update these
packages to keep my server up to date, what happens to
my configuration files if these packages are updated?
Are they overwritten or saved to .rpmsave?  How would
I force the update to not modify my config files?
Thanks for your time..

http://mail.yahoo.com