About /etc/fstab and LABELs

Kostas Sfakiotakis kostassf at rocketmail.com
Thu Oct 6 21:57:03 UTC 2005

Greetings ,

Ed Wilts wrote:

>On Thu, Oct 06, 2005 at 11:39:29AM -0500, Chris St. Pierre wrote:
>

>>I've often wondered, is there any real advantage to using labels
>>instead of physical device names?  David, you mentioned that it's to
>>avoid using the device names, but I've never found that to be a
>>particularly burdensome task, or something I'd like to avoid.  What's
>>the gain from using labels?
>>

>Labels can save you from MAJOR problems in a lot of specific situations.
>Imagine that you have 3 disks, sda, sdb, and sdc.  Now imagine that sdb
>fails hard.

Well the problem is that sdb failled and the DATA whatever
they were are gone !!! and certainly there is no label trick
that is going to save someone from that .

>You reboot and what was sdc is now sdb.  You will mount
>that filesystem on the wrong mount point and suddenly cause yourself all
>sorts of grief and possible disk corruption depending on how well
>behaved your applications are.  Imagine that sdb was your backup drive
>and you did an rsync --delete from sda to sdb automatically via cron or
>in rc.local.  Kiss all the data that was on sdc goodbye

Well i thought there was a Rescue mode in Linux . Since there is
a disaster rescue mode can be used to edit the scripts so they
reflect the current situation .

>Use labels - they're there to help you.

Well i guess before the Third World War begins , the OP can use
labels for as long as he understands how things work with labels .
Using labels has advantages and disadvantages ( for example
i failled to boot when boot command has the root= /  instead of the
actuall device just because the kernel couldn't find the actual device

Anyway since the OP asked the labels are created by anaconda
( the installation procedure )

Kind Regards,
  Kostas