RE: Can't mkfs a new drive

> I installed a new 160gig drive into my DELL running RHEL 3.
> I went into the setup utility/bios and enabled drive 2.
> I have 4 partitions on the sda boot drive.
> I did an fdisk and created 1 extended partition using the
> entire drive.

You can only create an FS on either a primary or a logical part.

The extended partition is just a 'container' for logical partitions.

Why did you create it as an extended?  It's a 2nd drive, so you
get to start all over with 3 (?) primary partitions on the disk
before needing to setup an extended partition containing one or
more logicial parts.

Marco
RHCE