RHEL + software RAID-1 with GRUB

Chris redhat-list at dotcomdesigners.com
Fri Oct 7 00:12:10 UTC 2005

Thank you to all who responded.  There is indeed a glitch with GRUB not
liking to boot from software RAID partitions.  I resolved the problem, after
tearing apart the system in question and discovering something so stupid I
can't believe I didn't see this before.  The two drives in question were
IDE, and they were on two separate IDE channels.  But the jumpers on them
were set to MASTER on both, instead of "single drive", ie: no slave drive
present.  Some drives need to be set to MASTER even in single-drive/channel
configuration, but it looks like these Western Digital drives do
differentiate between master and just a single drive and have different
jumper settings for both options.  Once I changed them both to single drive
(since they are on separate channels), Disk Druid allowed me to partition
these drives with RAID configuration and GRUB is now booting just fine, even
from a software RAID-1 /boot partition.  So it looks like Nigel was
partially right - this actually does work, at least on some systems.  I've
seen enough bug reports about GRUB not booting off software RAID partitions,
including bugzilla reports, that it's indeed true - this may or may not
work, depending on your particular hardware, motherboard, controller, etc.

Thank you again,

Chris