mirroring the whole disk

Ed Wilts ewilts at ewilts.org
Mon Oct 10 15:26:37 UTC 2005

On Mon, Oct 10, 2005 at 02:20:47PM +0200, Anze Vidmar wrote:
> I have Siemens PIII 500MHz server with two 9Gb SCSI HDD inside.
> I want to setup disk (software) mirroring, so in case that one disk
> fails, other can take the role.
>
> The disk would be partitioned as follows:
>
> - 100Mb Raid1 partition for /boot
> - 512Mb Raid1 partition for swap
> - 8Gb Raid1 partition for /
>
> So i can set:
> -  md0 for /boot
> - md1 for swap
> - md2 for /
>
> 1) OK, now I'm wondering how to setup GRUB loader, so if I disconnect
> the 1st hdd (in case it fails) the other can take the control.

Software mirroring does not mirror the disks - it mirrors partitions.
As such, it does not mirror the boot block.  That's up to you to mirror
(or regenerate on failure of the primary drive).

Similarly, it does not mirror swap partitions.

> I'm using FC4, but I'm sure it's the same thing with EL4 that I will be
> using in the future.

Then read the EL4 documentation that's online :-)

--
Ed Wilts, RHCE
Mounds View, MN, USA
mailto:ewilts at ewilts.org