Cannot locate shared device on RHEL4

Sathya P sathyanittur at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 11 21:29:50 UTC 2005

Hi,

Hardware: 2 HP Proliant Intel Server, connected to
common shared storage for Oracle RAC Installation.

OS : RHEL4U2
uname -a : 2.6.9-22.ELSMP

cat /proc/partitions |grep sda
   8     0   62199600 sda
   8     1     977904 sda1
   8     2     977920 sda2
   8     3   39063552 sda3

fdisk works fine on any of the above partitions.

The scsi_id command fails to get me a unique scsi_id.
The $? is set to 1 indicating the command failed.

scsi_id -s /block/sda
echo $?
1

scsi_id -s /block/sda/sda1
echo $?
1

Even though I can do fdisk, I cannot bind the disk to
ASM as it
Error Opening Manager : No such device or address.

I am new to Red Hat 4. Can you tell me what I am doing
wrong in accessing the shared disks.

Thanks
Sathya