migrating user accounts to Linux

Marcelino Mata mmata at multimatic.com
Tue Oct 11 22:07:22 UTC 2005

Hi,

I have searched but I have not come across anything which suggest how to
accomplish a migration of user accounts from traditional UNIX to Linux
or Redhat.  Maybe the answer is obvious and I'm looking to hard.

I have about 100 user accounts under AIX 4.3.3.  I want to move the user
accounts to RHEL 3.0.  The AIX server is a NIS master to about 25
Solaris and AIX clients.  What would the easiest way to accomplish this?
Make the RHEL server a NIS slave to import the user accounts with
passwords?  The goal would be to shutdown the AIX server once the user
and client computer migration has completed.  I am less concerned about
the NIS client setup since I can do it on computer by computer basis.
If there is not an AIX specific method, what steps would someone use
from Solaris or HP-UX to RHEL.  Any tips/suggestion on what does not
work well would be help.

Thanks for the help,

Marcelino