Re: Updating Packages Question

Hi,

Rik Herrin wrote:
Thanks Alberto.  That means that I should be able to
safely set up up2date and it won't touch my
configuration files.  However, when would it started
using the new binary (the one that came with the
update)?  On reboot? Or would it shut down the current
binary that is running and start up the new one?
I'm afraid that differs per package. I found that for instance openssh is properly stopped and started with an up(2)date, but for instance mysqld was stopped during the update, and never started afterwards. So it's safest to check if all services are running (although service --status-all is not a big help because it shows all services not just the ones that are enabled), and/or reboot after an upgrade, I suppose. I somehow hope I'm wrong and for an easier way to check all services are up-and-running other then the regular monitoring...

Regards,
Paul