RE: Red Hat memory allocation

(Cc-ed to list in case anyone is interested)

--On Thursday, October 13, 2005 4:08 PM -0300 "Shaw, Marco" <Marco Shaw aliant ca> wrote:

If I may, how did you get that tree view of the state of memory?

By hand?  From knowledge & experience?

Thanks,
Marco

Err... yes. Basically "by hand". It's a perl program I did while
trying to understand the output of free(1) and the values
found in /proc (I used the O'Reilly book on /proc and the one on the
Kernel).

Some things I never got sorted out completely. Sounds like cosmology:

Why is "sum(RSS)" != "Mapped memory" ?
Why is "floating" (a correction) not exactly 0 (it used to be under 2.2
 kernel I think)
Are 'slab' and 'page tables' correctly grouped under 'allocated'?
Is the 'page cache' indeed the cache used for page I/O?
Is the 'buffer cache' indeed the cache used for disk I/O?

As I'm not exactly 100% sysop, I gave up once I had satisficing results.

It's nothing complicated anyway - here it is:

<http://misato.m-plify.net/parse_free.pl>

Best regards,

-- David