Sendmail- /var/spool/clientmqueue/

redhat at buglecreek.com redhat at buglecreek.com
Fri Oct 14 15:48:02 UTC 2005

Due to policy issues we are required to turn sendmail off on most of our
Redhat boxes. As a result cron and other scripts generate output which
can not be emailed and are sent to /var/spool/clientmqueue/ were they
just sit there deferred and continue to pile up.  You used to be able to
run sendmail in non daemon mode and still send e-mail. In Redhat 3 and 4
this is not the case, sendmail needs to be able to listen on localhost
to send e-mail (from what I'm told). Starting sendmail in non daemon
mode (/etc/sysconfig/sendmail) does not seem to do much. Until our
policy is changed, is there a way to deal with the messages that are
piling up in the clientmqueue?  Short of telling cron and other
scripts not to generate e-mail and/or manually going in to the
clientmqueue and deleting the messages are there any other options?

Thanks