Partition boot disk when installing Fedora Core 4

Ruiyuan Jiang Ruiyuan_Jiang at liz.com
Mon Oct 17 12:18:49 UTC 2005

Hi, all

I am quite new to Redhat world. I recently downloaded Fedora Core 4 and
tried to install it on a Compaq PC. I wiped out the Windows that
installed on the PC so Fedora Core 4 is the only OS for the system. In
the installation process, I chose either "automatic or manual partition
disk with disk druid". I tried to create /var, /usr, /opt, /tmp, /home
on their own partitions instead of a big "root" partition on a single
disk. The practice is typical or standard on HP-UX or Solaris. The
installation went on without warning or problem. After the installation
is done, the box got rebooted. The box stopped booting and it complained
about /var, /usr, /opt, /home when it read /etc/fstab file in the
booting process. As I stated above, I tried to install Fedora Core 4
with both automatic or manual partition disk but they both failed to
boot. My co-worker installed Redhat before and he could partition the
disk but he can't explain why we can't partition disk on Fedora Core 4.
So my question is if Fedora Core 4 supports disk partition instead of a
big "root" partition on a single disk? Thanks in advance.

Ryan Jiang