Pagecache size

Marcelino Mata mmata at multimatic.com
Mon Oct 17 21:40:21 UTC 2005

 I finally had a chance to rerun this large RAM job with the information
requested.  Attached are three files with the meminfo and sar reports.

You should notice that swapping is occurring while filesystem cache is
around 2-3GB RAM.

The only thing I have changed from the default in /etc/sysctl.conf is :

vm.bdflush=60 500 512 0 500 3000 87 50 0
(bdflush default =  50      500     0       0       500     3000    80
50      0)

vm.kswapd=1024 32 16
(kswapd default = 512 32 8)

vm.pagecache=1 15 15
(pagecache default = 1 15 30)

I just noticed that as I was replying to this post that I missed "vmstat
10 10" output.  I think the sar report has the information in less
detailed form.  I suppose vmstat would of given running tallies instead
of meminfo "snapshot in time" information.  If the vmstat information is
still required, let me know....

I have noticed that if I remove all swap partitions that my large job
stays in RAM during the run.  Not ideal solution since memory leaks will
come back and haunt me later.

Any suggestions would be very welcome,

Best Regards,

Marcelino