gcc 2.96 and RedHat Enterprise 4

Margaret_Doll Margaret_Doll at brown.edu
Tue Oct 18 18:45:37 UTC 2005

I have a Dual 64 bit processor with advanced Nvidia drivers and SATA
drives.

Graphics programmers using the system swear that the gcc.3.4 that is on
the system does not correctly compile their code.  They want me to back
down the compiler to gcc 2.95 or gcc 2.96.

Can I keep the current kernel which supports the Nvidia graphics and
SATA drives, de-install all the current gcc programs and related
libraries, install gcc 2.96 compilers and related libraries and have a
working system?

I made a preliminary attempt to install RedHat 7.3 on the system which
has the gcc 2.96 compiler, but the installation seemed permanently
paused after the first page of instructions where you indicate what
action you wish to take.

Would a 7.3 system support NVidia drivers and SATA drives?

I need to test my 7.3 installation disks on another system.