gcc 2.96 and RedHat Enterprise 4

Matthew Saltzman mjs at ces.clemson.edu
Tue Oct 18 16:33:27 UTC 2005

On Tue, 18 Oct 2005, Margaret_Doll wrote:

> I have a Dual 64 bit processor with advanced Nvidia drivers and SATA
> drives.
>
> Graphics programmers using the system swear that the gcc.3.4 that is on
> the system does not correctly compile their code.  They want me to back
> down the compiler to gcc 2.95 or gcc 2.96.
>
> Can I keep the current kernel which supports the Nvidia graphics and
> SATA drives, de-install all the current gcc programs and related
> libraries, install gcc 2.96 compilers and related libraries and have a
> working system?

Doubtful.  You could install the compat libraries for RHEL4, and you
could try rebuilding the compat compiler from RHEL3 or
FC-something-like-2.

> I made a preliminary attempt to install RedHat 7.3 on the system which
> has the gcc 2.96 compiler, but the installation seemed permanently
> paused after the first page of instructions where you indicate what
> action you wish to take.
>
> Would a 7.3 system support NVidia drivers and SATA drives?

Don't think so.

> I need to test my 7.3 installation disks on another system.

If the above doesn't work, you'll have to do the entire build on another
system, but you can still test the results with the compat libraries for
RHEL4.

--
 		Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences