OT: Fixing Failed Mirror

Ed Wilts ewilts at ewilts.org
Tue Oct 18 21:50:39 UTC 2005

On Tue, Oct 18, 2005 at 02:40:19PM -0700, Mike McMullen wrote:
> I am running FC4 and using mirroring on 2 200GB Maxtor DiamondMax 9 EIDE
> drives.

This should be posted to the fedora list.

> The drives are partitioned as /boot, swap and /. There are no spares in
> the system.
>
> Today smartd started reporting the following message:
>
> "The following warning/error was logged by the smartd daemon:
>
> Device: /dev/hda, 1 Currently unreadable (pending) sectors
>
> I have purchased a 200 GB Maxtor DiamondMax 10 SATA drive since
> I also have 2 SATA connectors in  the box to replace the failing EIDE drive.
>
> The reason for that being that the system boots from the 1st partition
> of the failing drive.

That's the tricky part.  Boot into rescue mode (from your first CD),
mount your drive without the boot partition and run grub-install.

> Can I mix the SATA partitions with EIDE partitions to create mirrors?
> If so can someone point me to the idiot's guide for this?

Software mirroring doesn't care about the underlying hardware.  As long
as the number of blocks in the 2 partitions are the same, go ahead and
mirror them.

--
Ed Wilts, RHCE
Mounds View, MN, USA