OT Blade servers

Greg Golin greg.golin at gmail.com
Wed Oct 19 15:39:12 UTC 2005

Blades are definitely not the next big thing, they are a very solid
market with five big players [IBM, Dell, HP, Verari, Rackable] who
sell blades by the thousands. Common customers are oil and gas
exploration companies, energy companies, graphic design companies,
market research compaines, national agencies (NASA, NIH), biotech
companies.

The chances for a standard backplane are slim to none. Lock in is not
a bitch, its a necessary evil dictated by market conditions.
I do agree with you on the infrastructure point though -- blades are not cheap.

Regards,
GG