Bare metal recovery

Ed Wilts ewilts at ewilts.org
Wed Oct 19 20:12:06 UTC 2005

On Wed, Oct 19, 2005 at 11:15:11AM -0400, Shane Presley wrote:
> On 10/19/05, Smith, Albert <Albert.Smith at genexservices.com> wrote:
> > I use mondorescue and it works great for me.
>
> Very interesting package.  We use Veritas NetBackup for tape backup of
> our system, but that doesn't help us with bare metal restores.  Our
> current procedure is rather complicated, but we install a fresh new OS
> and veritas netbackup client, dump the veritas restored data to a
> second drive, install grub on the second drive, and boot from it.

Veritas supports Bare Metal Restore for Linux.  I haven't tested it yet,
but I will be working on it in the next few months.

> Anyway monorescue looks a lot easier.  But I'm wonder how we could
> integrate it with Veritas (for tape backup).

Veritas BMR is integrated with your tape backups.  Just check off the
BMR button (assuming you've licensed the client and set the rest up
correctly) and you're off to the races - it takes of itself.

http://ftp.support.veritas.com/pub/support/products/NetBackup_Enterprise_Server/279261.pdf

--
Ed Wilts, RHCE
Mounds View, MN, USA