syslogd: sendto: Bad file descriptor

Hello,

I am running RHEL 3.  syslogd was running fine, and I modified
/etc/syslog.conf to log to a remote system...

*.warn;*.alert;*.emerg;*.err;*.info             @loghost.domain.com

That worked fine (and yes I made sure it is tabs, not spaces).
However, I then installed CheckPoint NGX (firewall management
console), and now syslogd seems to be broken.  Anytime it goes to log
a message, /var/log/messages records...

Oct 20 19:20:40 server syslogd: sendto: Bad file descriptor

I've made sure /etc/syslog.conf is clean, copied it from a working
system, nothing works.

Any ideas?
Thanks
Shane