Raid and LVM at boot on RHEL4

Lunt, Nick Nick.Lunt at wesleyan.co.uk
Tue Oct 25 14:41:50 UTC 2005

Hello folks,

We have some Proliant DL145 machines which do not come with a raid controller but do come with 2 identical internal disks.

I tried to do the install with putting the two disks in a raid1 config via the command line as Anaconda would not allow me to perform a mixed raid and LVM setup at install.

Here's is what I did,

Boot off disk 1
Before getting to the configure file systems bit I went onto console 2 and did this -

fdisk /dev/sda creating a 300Mb bootable partition sda1 for /boot and left the rest of the disk as a partition of type linux raid autodetect.

I then did exactly the same on /dev/sdb

I created /dev/md0 with /dev/sda1 and /dev/sdb1 and /dev/md1 with /dev/sda2 and /dev/sdb2

My aim was to use /dev/md0 as a raid 1 /boot partition and /dev/md1 as LVM for the rest of the OS.
So I pvcreated /dev/md1 and vgcreated vg00 with /dev/md1.

Next I switched back to console 7 to carry on with the install, Anaconda recognised the LVM and raid structure Id put on the disks and allowed me to create lvols in the vg.

No problems so far, however, just before it starts installing the packages it formats the partitions then tells me it could not mount /boot (even tho it just formatted it) and presents a really unhelpful button saying "press ok to reboot" -- NICE ! ;)

Anyhoo, has anyone managed to get raid and lvm working from install on RHEL 4 ?

Im going to keep trying to get this to work, but if anyone has any pointers they would be well appreciated.

Many thanks,
Nick .

Wesleyan Administration Services Ltd registered number 5188850 and Wesleyan Unit Trust Managers Ltd registered number 2114859 ("WUTM Ltd")
are wholly owned subsidiary companies of Wesleyan Assurance Society, whose registered number is ZC145.
WUTM Ltd is a member of IMA. For ISA/PEP/Unit Trusts Administration Centre: PO Box Basildon SS15 5WQ Telephone: 0870 601 6129
Wesleyan Assurance Society and WUTM Ltd are authorised and regulated by the Financial Services Authority.
Head Office, Colmore Circus, Birmingham B4 6AR. Telephone: 0121 200 3003 Fax 0121 200 2971.
Website: www.wesleyan.co.uk Telephone calls may be recorded for monitoring and training purposes.

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

This communication and the information it contains is intended for the person or organisation to whom it is addressed. Its contents are confidential and may be protected in law. Unauthorised use, copying or disclosure of any of it may be unlawful. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact us immediately.

The contents of any attachments in this e-mail may contain software viruses, which could damage your own computer system. While every reasonable precaution to minimise this risk has been taken, we cannot accept liability for any damage that you sustain as a result of software viruses. You should carry out your own virus checking procedure before opening any attachment.