Hanging process cannot be killed except from "kill -9"

Gavin McDonald gavitron at gmail.com
Tue Oct 25 17:42:35 UTC 2005

Radtanapan,

>> I tried them already but they didn't work.

 >> It's an application process which is developed from C/C++.

Have you written signal handler functions into your code?  Perhaps that
would

be the next step.  It sounds like your application is getting stuck in a
"blocking"

section of code, waiting for some IO that never comes.  It can't exit the
loop

unless the IO arrives, (Which it never will,) or until you break the
execution via

kill -9.  This is not the right forum to get a C++ answer, but here's my
attempt;

You need to debug your code to find the section of code that your
application is

hanging in.  Probably a conditional loop with impossible conditions.  You
also need

to have signal-handling code in your application.  You could use an existing
signal

like HUP, or CONT, or use a user-defined signal, (man signal(7) for more
info,) to

set a boolean "continue" flag.  Add that boolean flag to the conditional
loop you

found while debugging, so that if the signal handler is triggered, the loop
exits.

now you can clean up your resources properly, before
quitting/reloading/restarting/etc.

This I just a guess though.  If you need more detail on how to do the above,
may I

suggest google, as I have not written a C++ app from scratch since I was in
college.

Regards,

Gavin McDonald

EVI Logistic Enterprises