GRUB dual-boot 32/64bit RHEL ES

Gavin McDonald gavitron at gmail.com
Wed Oct 26 02:24:39 UTC 2005

Evening fellows;

I have been hard at work building a dual-boot RHEL system tonight, with one
OS being 32-bit RHEL3_U5 for 32-bit x86, and the other OS being RHEL3_U6 for
AMD-64.  The 32-bit RHEL has been on the machine for a while, so rather than
rebuild it, I just plugged in a second drive.  The install went fine, I
partitioned the new disk (/dev/hdb) similar to the original install, and
made sure to not install a bootloader, since I already have GRUB on the
first drive.

So now, I cant seem to configure GRUB for the second OS. I added a second
entry, and made what seemed to be the right changes, but booting was a
spectacular failure.  GRUB found the "right" kernel and initrd, but it
looked like the root filesystem was being loaded off of /def/hda3 instead of
/dev/hdb3.  How _should_ I be doing this?  Do I need to sync my /boot/grub
folders between /dev/hda & /dev/hdb?

Anyway, here are the current, broken, contents of /dev/hda1/grub/grub.conf:

# begin grub.conf
default=0
timeout=10
splashimage=(hd(0,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
title RHEL3 32-bit
	root hd(0,0)
	kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.21-32.ELsmp ro root=LABEL=/ hdc=ide-scsi
	initrd /initrd-2.4.21-32.ELsmp.img
title RHEL3 64-bit
	root hd(1,0)
	kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.21-37.EL ro root=LABEL=/ hdc=ide-scsi
	initrd /initrd-2.4.21-37.EL.img
# end grub.conf

also, it should be noted that I have confirmed the existence of
initrd-2.4.21-37.EL.img etc on /boot of /dev/hdb, and that 32-bit RHEL boots
fine...

Regards,

Gavin McDonald
EVI Logistic Enterprises