sendmail losing e-mails

Michael Velez mikev777 at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 26 12:42:26 UTC 2005

-----Original Message-----
From: redhat-list-bounces at redhat.com [mailto:redhat-list-bounces at redhat.com]
On Behalf Of Shaw, Marco
Sent: Wednesday, October 26, 2005 8:14 AM
To: General Red Hat Linux discussion list
Subject: RE: sendmail losing e-mails

> Also, sometimes an e-mail takes a long time to get delivered
> and will be
> received after an e-mail that had been sent at a later date.

With some mail servers, a queue may start to accumulate, when
a problem occurs.  When the problem is cleared though, the mail
server may still keep these messages in the queue, but start
processing/sending along any new messages as they arrive.

There may be a job running at a specified interval running
a special command to clear any backed up queues.

> Can anybody guide me as to where I need to look?  Is this my
> system doing
> this or could it be my ISP holding up these messages for fear
> they are spam
> (which they are not)?

Is it possible that some certain keywords are flagged, and the
email marked as spam?

Might want to run a tcpdump to see the SMTP commands go back
and forth.

Marco
RHCE

Marco,

Thanks for the response.

Well, there shouldn't be any flagged keywords, as for the moment, the
e-mails only contain the date and the words "The End".  All e-mails are the
same so I don't see why one gets flagged and the others don't.

Could it be the specific SMTP server that I actually log into that does
this?  I see from /var/log/maillog that the IP address of the SMTP server is
different each time.

How do I run a tcpdump? And what am I looking for when I do this?

Thanks,
Michael