RHEL4 and Disk Druid inconsistencies

Sean Hawthorne shawthorne at roam-it.com
Thu Oct 27 17:15:12 UTC 2005

Hello All,

I've been trying my darnedest  to build a pair of clustered servers this
week. I have been though the RHEL4 install on all four machines. All of
which are the exact same hardware. One thing that is driving me nuts
though is Disk Druid. I have been very careful about building all my
partitions exactly the same (same order and sizes, etc....), yet I keep
getting different results. i.e.

I'll slice both hard drives like so:

sda1     200MB     software raid
sda2     2000MB   software raid
sda3     6000MB   software raid
sda4     extended partition
sda5     232800MB     software raid

All the cluster sizes match and everything. All seems good. Then I start
making the RAID sets. Some times I'll end up with this:

md0 200MB /boot
md1 6000MB /
md2 2000MB swap
md3 232800MB /data

other times I'll end up with this (or something else completely).

md0 2000MB swap
md1 6000MB /
md2 232800MB /data
md3 200MB /boot

There doesn't seem to be any consistency in how disk druid orders the md
devices when they are created. While not 100% necessary to have the
clusters all setup exactly the same, it certainly does make
administering them easier if I don't have to deal with nuances like this.

So, my questions:

1) Can anyone tell me how to repeatably get the same results from disk
druid each time, or why it does this?
2) Is there any way to reorder the md devices once the system is
installed? What do I need to change/look for?

--
Sean Hawthorne
Roam IT Technical Professional
Email: shawthorne at roam-it.com