Wireless on linux/Battery Life

Matthew Saltzman mjs at ces.clemson.edu
Fri Oct 28 08:59:12 UTC 2005

On Thu, 27 Oct 2005, Gavin McDonald wrote:

> I don't know what happened to this thread, but I found the following just
> now, and thought it pertinent enough to post:
>
> "Intel Speedstep
> You will most definitely want to "modprobe speedstep" or "modprobe
> speedstep-ich" at startup, depending on which version of the kernel you're
> running. This will load the kernel's speedstep module which will throttle
> the CPU when operating on battery power. If you don't load this module, the
> T30 will continue to run at full 2Ghz speed on battery, which will last all
> of about 45 minutes. "
>
> "...setting the hard-disk spindown to 5 minutes and setting "laptop mode" in
> the kernel makes a slight change in battery life...although it is still
> pretty poor in Linux. "
>
> Both quotes are from this page:
> http://www.nuclearelephant.com/papers/t30.html
>
> And should help increase your battery life.

I'm not sure the speedstep module is needed in FC4.  I have the cpuspeed
package installed on my T41, and it seems to be controlling the clock just
fine.  speedstep doesn't appear in lsmod at all.  I believe cpuspeed was
installed with my initial FC4 install.

--
 		Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences