Red Hat ES version And Cent OS

Jason Dixon jason at dixongroup.net
Fri Oct 28 11:54:26 UTC 2005

On Oct 28, 2005, at 7:45 AM, lasa wrote:

> I would like to know
> 1. Is Red Hat ES exactly like Cent OS? (comparing the Security,
> protection,
> Kernel and other applications)

Please search the archives, this has been discussed numerous times
(even in the last week).

> 2. How can we find out the open ports and unwanted applications
> that easily
> intruder can hack if they are installed in a Mail server and DNS
> server?
> (details for any web site or any book)

Nessus is a utility for vulnerability scanning.  If you are on the
server in question, you can use "netstat -vat" and "netstat -vau" to
see listening TCP and UDP ports, respectively.  If you see any
unknown services, you can use "lsof -i <protocol>:<port>" to
determine what processes are listening.  Example:

[root at colo root]# lsof -i tcp:465
COMMAND  PID USER   FD   TYPE DEVICE SIZE NODE NAME
master  2138 root   14u  IPv4   4662       TCP *:smtps (LISTEN)

--
Jason Dixon
DixonGroup Consulting