suggested change to /etc/init.d/ypbind

Miner, Jonathan W (CSC) (US SSA) jonathan.w.miner at baesystems.com
Fri Oct 28 17:57:45 UTC 2005

Hi -

Our Linux laptops have NIS enabled so that when they're on the company LAN, the users have access to everything they would have from the desktops... mostly the NIS automount maps.  The problem is that if NIS is enabled, and the laptop is booted on some other network, it takes several minutes for NIS to timeout.

This period is determined by a 1...20 loop in /etc/init.d/ypbind.  It is easy  enough to edit the script and change the 20 to something smaller, but I'm afraid that future updates might overwrite the file.

I would like to suggest that the fixed value of "20" be replaced with a variable, that could be set in /etc/sysconfig/network file.  The resulting ypbind script would look like this:

+         if [ "$NISTIMEOUT" = "" ]; then
+           NISTIMEOUT=20
+         fi
        echo -n $"Listening for an NIS domain server."
!       for (( times = 1; times < $NISTIMEOUT; times++ )); do

Thanks