up2date problems

Nigel Wade nmw at ion.le.ac.uk
Mon Oct 31 09:42:52 UTC 2005

Allen, Jack wrote:
>         After registering the system with RHN I tried to run up2date and
> this is what I get.
>
> (mckstardb)root# up2date -l
> *** glibc detected *** double free or corruption (out): 0x096d79c8 ***
> Abort
>
> Where do I begin to look for the problem?
>
> If a program or glibc is corrupted how can I correct this from the CDs?
>
> I am afraid the backup that was done will have the same corrupted
> program in it.
>
> Thanks:
>         Jack Allen

That's a "feature" of the latest gblic. I've not seen it affect up2date though,
that's not supposed to happen.

 From the RHEL4 release notes:

"The version of glibc provided with Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4 performs
additional internal sanity checks to prevent and detect data corruption as early
as possible. By default, should corruption be detected, a message similar to the
following will be displayed on standard error (or logged via syslog if stderr is
not open):

*** glibc detected *** double free or corruption: 0x0937d008 ***

By default, the program that generated this error will also be killed; however,
this (and whether or not an error message is generated) can be controlled via
the MALLOC_CHECK_ environment variable. The following settings are supported:

     *

       0 — Do not generate an error message, and do not kill the program
     *

       1 — Generate an error message, but do not kill the program
     *

       2 — Do not generate an error message, but kill the program
     *

       3 — Generate an error message and kill the program"

E-mail :    nmw at ion.le.ac.uk
Phone :     +44 (0)116 2523548, Fax : +44 (0)116 2523555