X windows problems

Cannon, Andrew Andrew.Cannon at amecnnc.com
Mon Sep 5 14:19:59 UTC 2005

Hi All,

We are running three Red Hat systems; one RH8 and two RHEL v3 U2 boxes.  All
three have started to exhibit instability with the X Windows system when
logging in on the boxes themselves.  The system basically says that it
"cannot find the font "fixed"".  The X windows server can be restarted (if
you log in remotely) by issuing the command "/sbin/service xfs restart" as
root.

Strangely, I did this locally as root on the RH8 machine and it logged me in
okay, but when I logged out, X crashed and would then log root in
automatically when I started XFS remotely.  (Have I confused anyone yet?)

Basically, what I am asking is this:

Why would X suddenly start having problems on all three systems when they
are two completely different systems (the RH8 system is a 2GHz P4 Compaq
desktop, and the 2 RHEL systems are 64-bit AMD systems from a UK company
called Evesham).  The kernels are different (RH8 2.4.20-13.8 and RHEL
2.4.21-15.EL) and the version of XFree86 is different (RH8: "Red Hat
release: 4.2.0-72", RHEL: "Red Hat Enterprise Linux 3 Release: 4.3.0-62.EL).

Has anyone else experienced this problem?  If so, how did you fix it?  Is it
possible that we've been hacked?

Andrew

AMEC Nuclear Holdings Limited (no. 3725076), AMEC NNC Limited (no. 1120437), National Nuclear Corporation Limited (no. 2290928), STATS-NNC Limited (no. 4339062) and Technica-NNC Limited (no. 235856).  The registered office of each company is at Booths Hall, Chelford Road, Knutsford, Cheshire WA16 8QZ except for Technica-NNC Limited whose registered office is at Banchory Business Centre, Hill of Banchory Business Park, Burn O' Bennie Road, Banchory, Aberdeenshire, AB31 5ZU.  AMEC NNC's head office and principal address is Booths Hall and the switchboard number is 01565 633800.
The AMEC NNC website is www.amecnnc.com

Any request, advice, information or opinion in this message which does not relate to the business of any of the above companies is not authorised by any of the above companies.  Where this message does so relate,  it is sent by the relevant company (as above) and is confidential and intended for the use of the individual or entity to whom it is addressed.  The content is subject to contract and, unless so stated, does not form part of any contract.  If you have received this e-mail in error please notify the AMEC NNC system manager by email at eadm at amecnnc.com.