useradd

Alexander Ruhri ruhri at neurop.rub.de
Mon Sep 12 13:42:27 UTC 2005

Am Montag, den 12.09.2005, 06:45 -0500 schrieb Ed Wilts:
> On Mon, Sep 12, 2005 at 11:50:52AM +0200, Alexander Ruhri wrote:
> > I have a slight problem with useradd in RHEL3. When adding a new user, a
> > file is created in /var/mail/<username>.
> > This "feature" is not documented in the manpage, nor can I find a way to
> > suppress this behavior.
> > The problem is, that the users mailbox is /var/mail/<username>/inbox
> >
> > The other  issue is, that I would like to make some other custom
> > changes, when adding users (adding to maillist, creating maildir, adding
> > to smbpasswd...). In debian there is a local script, which is executed
> > after adduser.
>
> What I've been doing for many years is to write my own adduser script
> that our Help Desk runs.  It does stuff like generate an appropriate
> password, adding to smbpasswd, setting up group membership, etc.  It's
> not hard to have it call useradd.  You could delete the empty mailfile
> if you want.

Yes, I was thinking about that... but then maybe one must not use the
graphical interface (redhat-config-users). I can do without it, but what
about the admin after me in half a year, who may be likes to click the
world...
It would be far nicer to have a post-executed script like debian

Thanks for the advice!