Directory not a Device File

Jay LaPrade jaylaprade at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 26 21:35:24 UTC 2005

Is anyone aware of a recent bugfix for RedHat ES 4.0
that stopped the following?

I have a qla2300 QLogic Fibre Channel that is attached
to my server.  This in turn is attached to a Dell 136T
tape library.  During frequent network congestion the
/dev/sg0 device disconnects (as expected.)  The
problem though is during a reconnect /dev/sg0 link
becomes a directory instead a device file.
Thus my backup software fails with an error of
'/dev/sg0 is a directory not a device.'

Thank you for your assistance,

Jay