Sendmail with regex for VERP support

Opesh Alkara opeshalkara at gmail.com
Sat Sep 3 00:06:51 UTC 2005

may be you already know.....but just for the information....I am including
my findings.....

I am planning to include VERP support in my org. bounce back servers which
run on sendmail.....

This is possible if you have MAP_REGEX flag enabled while
compilation......as the VERP header is checked with the regular expression
and then a desired action is taken....

The thing that I was missing :

regex-0.12.tar.gz
rx-1.5

which you can get from GNU ftp site:

 ftp://ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu/

after compiling this source codes(./configure ; make ; make
install)...librx.a file will be created place will be placed in /usr/lib/
also the include files will be placed in /usr/local/include/.

Now you need to place the following line

APPENDDEF(`confMAPDEF',`-DPH_MAP')
APPENDDEF(`confLIBS', `-lphclient')
APPENDDEF(`confINCDIRS', `-I/usr/local/include')
APPENDDEF(`confLIBDIRS', `-L/usr/local/lib')

APPENDDEF(`confMAPDEF', `-DMAP_REGEX')dnl
APPENDDEF(`confINCDIRS', `-I/usr/include')
APPENDDEF(`confLIBDIRS', `-L/usr/lib')

in the sendmail-8.13.4/devtools/Site/site.config.m4

go to the sendmail-8.13.4 folder and compile the sendmail with the following
command:

$./Build ../devtools/Site/site.config.m4

You will see MAP_REGEX and other options which sendmail is being compiled...

$./Build install

After installation use the following command to see whether the sendmail is
compiled with the MAP_REGEX flag set or not:

[root at optra root]# sendmail -bt -d0.4 root
Version 8.13.4
 Compiled with: DNSMAP LOG MAP_REGEX MATCHGECOS MILTER MIME7TO8 MIME8TO7
NAMED_BIND NETINET NETUNIX NEWDB PH_MAP PIPELINING SCANF STARTTLS USERDB
XDEBUG

Now you can include any regular expression and a custom ruleset to match
your requirement and to take an action  accordingly....

Thanks
Opesh Alkara