Partition problem aftermath

Jeff jsmforum at optonline.net
Fri Sep 9 12:06:59 UTC 2005

Ok, I 've really screwed the pooch on my RH ES3 server. The / partition
filled up somehow and I used partition commander to modify the partition
sizes around a little to give / more free space. well this screwed up a
every partition that was touched. I've finally got the system to boot
and mount everything again but now I'm having problems all over the
place with software. The /usr partition was screwed up royally and I
used e2fsck to fix that but problems persist.

when I try to run a perl script i wrote as a nagios plugin i get the
following...

perl: warning: Setting locale failed.
LANGUAGE = (unset),
LC_ALL = (unset),
LANG = "en_US"
Unrecognized character \x08 at /usr/lib/perl5/5.6.1/AutoLoader.pm line
1.
Compilation failed in require at
/usr/lib/perl5/5.6.1/i386-linux/DynaLoader.pm line 22.
Compilation failed in require at
/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.6.1/i386-linux/DBI.pm line 146.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at
/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.6.1/i386-linux/DBI.pm line 146.
Compilation failed in require at ./check_avg_traffic line 4.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at ./check_avg_traffic line 4.

issuing a locale command gives this result

[root at mis02tc07927 libexec]# locale
LANG=en_US
LC_CTYPE="en_US"
LC_NUMERIC="en_US"
LC_TIME="en_US"
LC_COLLATE="en_US"
LC_MONETARY="en_US"
LC_MESSAGES="en_US"
LC_PAPER="en_US"
LC_NAME="en_US"
LC_ADDRESS="en_US"
LC_TELEPHONE="en_US"
LC_MEASUREMENT="en_US"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="en_US"
LC_ALL=

What's wrong and does anyone know how to fix this mess?

many thanks,

Jeff